Class P2 2-8-2


LNER Class P2 2-8-2 No. 2003 LORD PRESIDENT enters Kirkcaldy Station with an Edinburgh-bound express in 1936, overlooked by one the huge linoleum factories for which Kirkcaldy was famous; this one belonging to the company of Barry, Ostlere & Shepherd. The Class P2s were designed by Sir Nigel Gresley for working heavily-loaded express passenger trains on the Edinburgh to Aberdeen main line, and six locomotives, Nos. 2001-2006, were built at Doncaster Works between 1934 and 1936. They were very powerful engines but heavy on coal, and with their long fixed wheelbase were found to be less than ideally-suited to the tight curvature of the line through Fife, all being rebuilt as 4-6-2s by Edward Thompson who succeeded Gresley in 1941.

Class K1 2-6-0


Ex-LNER Class K1/1 2-6-0 No. 61997 MacCailin Mor departs from Glenfinnan Station with the 13.00 Mallaig to Glasgow Queen Street train, March 1956. This locomotive was built at Darlington in 1939 as one of six Class K4 engines to Sir Nigel Gresley's deign for work on the West Highland line. It was subsequently rebuilt at Doncaster in 1945 by Edward Thompson with his standard two-cylinder layout and a shortened version of the boiler used on the Class B1 4-6-0s. No more K4s were rebuilt, but No. 61997 became the prototype for seventy new Class K1 locomotives turned out just after nationalisation in 1949/50. No. 61997 was withdrawn from service in June 1961. [J.M. Jarvis]

Collapse )

Class K3 (BR Class 5P6F) 2-6-0

Introduced: 1924.
Boiler pressure: 180 psi.
Cylinders: (3) 18½" x 26".
Driving wheel diameter: 5' 8".
Tractive effort: 30,030 lbs.
Weight: locomotive: 72 tons 12 cwt. Tender: 43 tons 2 cwt.


Ex-LNER Class K3 2-6-0 No. 61854 begins the long descent from Whitrope Summit to Newcastleton with an Edinburgh to Carlisle goods train on 26th May, 1956. At the rear of the train, to the right of the telegraph pole, can be seen an ex-NBR Class C (LNER Class J36) 0-6-0 which had assisted the train from Hawick to the summit. [Robert Leslie]

Class K4 2-6-0


Ex-LNER Class K4 2-6-0 No. 61995 CAMERON OF LOCHIEL crosses the Lochy Viaduct between Banavie and Mallaig Junction with the 1.5pm train from Mallaig to Glasgow Queen Street on 16th June, 1951. Three-and-a-half years after nationalisation, the locomotive retains LNER apple green livery and LNER lettering on the tender, although it carries its BR number and smokebox number plate. The train consists of three carriages in LNER varnished teak livery while four have received BR crimson & cream livery. [Eric Bruton]

Collapse )

Class V1 (BR Class 3MT) & V3 (BR Class 4MT) 2-6-2T

Class V1
Introduced: 1930.
Boiler pressure: 180 psi.
Cylinders: (3) 16" x 26".
Driving wheel diameter: 5' 8".
Tractive effort: 22,465 lbs.
Weight: locomotive: 84 tons 0 cwt.

Class V3
Introduced: 1939.
Boiler pressure: 200 psi.
Cylinders: (3) 16" x 26".
Driving wheel diameter: 5' 8".
Tractive effort: 24,960 lbs.
Weight: locomotive: 86 tons 16 cwt.

419 (LNER 1946 No. 7650, BR No. 67650)
Built: LNER Doncaster Works.
To traffic, allocated to Blaydon: 14th January, 1936.
Reallocated to Middlesbrough: 17th January, 1939.
Reallocated to Stirling: 11th January, 1940.
Renumbered 7650: 30th June, 1946.
Renumbered 67650: 3rd September, 1948.
Rebuilt as Class V3: 26th September, 1958.
Reallocated to Parkhead: 21st February, 1959.
Withdrawn: 10th August, 1961.
Scrapped: -

Ex-LNER Class V1 2-6-2T No. 67650 approaches Dalmeny North Junction with a southbound train on 9th August, 1949. [E.R. Wethersett]

Collapse )

Class V4 2-6-2

Introduced: 1941.
Boiler pressure: 250 psi.
Cylinders: (3) 15" x 26".
Driving wheel diameter: 5' 8".
Tractive effort: 27,420 lbs.
Weight: locomotive: 70 tons 8 cwt. Tender: 42 tons 15 cwt.

3401 (1946 No. 1700; BR No. 61700) Bantam Cock
Built: LNER Doncaster Works.
To traffic, allocated to Doncaster: 3rd March, 1941.
Reallocated to York: 19th April, 1941.
Reallocated to Haymarket: 3rd May, 1941.
Reallocated to Stratford: 24th June, 1941.
Reallocated to Norwich: 28th November, 1941.
Reallocated to Haymarket: 28th February, 1942.
Renumbered 1700: 14th September, 1946.
Reallocated to Ferryhill: 24th May, 1954.
Withdrawn: 14th March, 1957.
Scrapped at BR Kilmarnock Works.

Class V4 2-6-2 No. 3401 Bantam Cock stands at Eastfield Shed on 27th July, 1946. The locomotive carried the austere LNER wartime black livery, which was applied in November 1942. [Rail Archive Stephenson Collection]

Collapse )

Class J39 (BR Class 4P5F) 0-6-0

Introduced: 1926.
Boiler pressure: 180 psi.
Cylinders: (I) 20" x 26".
Driving wheel diameter: 5' 2".
Tractive effort: 25,665 lbs.
Weight: locomotive: 57 tons 17 cwt. Tender: 44 tons 4 cwt.

1267 (1946 No. 4727; BR No. 64727)
Built: LNER Darlington Works.
To traffic: May 1927.
Withdrawn: October 1962.

A southward view at Riddings Junction in June 1956, with ex-LNER Class J39 0-6-0 No. 64727 standing at the Langholm platform with the branch train. [Ian Allan Library]

Collapse )

Class A3 (BR Class 7P6F) 4-6-2

Introduced: 1927.
Boiler pressure: 220 psi.
Cylinders: (3) 19" x 26".
Driving wheel diameter: 6' 8".
Tractive effort: 32,910 lbs.
Weight: locomotive: 96 tons 5 cwt. Tender: 57 tons 18 cwt.

2500 (1946 No. 35; BR No. 60035) WINDSOR LAD
Built: LNER Doncaster Works.
To traffic: July 1934.
Withdrawn: September 1961.

Ex-LNER Class A3 4-6-2 No. 60035 WINDSOR LAD stands adjacent to the turntable at Haymarket Shed prior to working a southbound express from Edinburgh Waverley during August 1958. [David Anderson]

Collapse )

Class D49 (BR Class 4P) 4-4-0

Introduced: 1927.
Boiler pressure: 180 psi.
Cylinders: (3) 17" x 26".
Driving wheel diameter: 6' 8".
Tractive effort: 21,555 lbs.
Weight: locomotive: 66 tons. Tender: 48 tons 6 cwt.


With Den Road on the left and Kirkcaldy Harbour Branch descending steeply away on the right, ex-LNER Class D49 4-4-0 No. 62708 ARGYLLSHIRE heads a southbound train towards Kirkcaldy Station on an unknown date, circa mid-1950s. The locomotive entered service in January 1928 and was withdrawn in May 1959. [Pete Westwater]

Collapse )